I treat children and adults with problems at school, at work, or at home; problems with friends or with people in the community. Some clients avoid family and friends, some get in too many fights and arguments, and some have a hard time getting things done. Some purposefully harm themselves or are considering ending their lives.
No matter who you are, or where you're coming from, you are the one who will determine where your story begins. I'll meet you where you're at and focus on your strengths. We'll collaborate to find and treat the root cause of your presenting concerns.
The most important things I provide are a listening and non-judgmental mind, relentless curiosity, deep caring and respect, and authenticity, sprinkled generously with pragmatism, creativity, humor, and insight.
Underpinning my work is my belief in "tribe" (family and community). Tribes come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, colors, cultures, flavors and configurations (I was raised in a multilingual and multicultural home). Our tribes shape how we feel, how we think, how we relate to others, and how others relate to us (sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, sometimes it's hard to know).
I love this work and look forward to learning your story.
· Ages 5-75
· Individuals, Couples & Triads
· Families, Including Dyadic Parent (Caregiver) and Child
· Veterans, Military, First Responders and Their Families
· Anger Management
· Assertiveness Training
· Communications Skills
· Couples, Triads, & Polyamory
· Dating & Premarital
· Disruptive and Oppositional Behaviors
· Domestic Violence (Offenders)
· Lifestyle choices
· Life Transitions
· Men's Issues
· Relationships of All Kinds
· Personal Growth, Leadership, Creativity, & Insight
My previous experience includes working as a bilingual (Spanish/English) therapist in the outpatient department of a community mental health agency under contract to the LA County Department of Mental Health. I maintain my connection to the community by serving on the board of the Guidance Center, which provides comprehensive mental health treatment to our community’s most disadvantaged children and their families.
· Ethnicity/Multi-Cultural Relationships
· Grief and Loss
· Self Esteem
· Self-Harm/Suicidal Ideation
· Single Parents
· Step/Blended Families
· Trauma & PTSD
o Victims of Crime
o Childhood Trauma
o Domestic Violence
I use a "person centered" approach sprinkled with bits of Gestalt and cognitive behavioral therapy. Attachment theory informs all of my treatment. The difficult work of therapy is made easier with laughter and healthy doses of fun.
· Trauma Focused-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT)
· Positive Parenting Program (Triple P)
· Managing and Adapting Practices (MAP)
· Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)